People are learning new and exciting things about bed bugs
daily. This is a good thing, as there is no such thing as too much information. This especially applies to the bed bug topics, detection, and elimination of bed bugs.
There are still immense amounts of information unknown about this pest species. A lot of information is good, but it can be confusing and conflicting.
One thing that can truthfully be said about bed bugs
is they are excellent hiders. With their reddish-brown exoskeleton, the insects can easily blend in with their everyday surroundings. Perhaps, the most interesting thing about these pests is, they will go out of their way to avoid detection. Therefore, they only feed when the host is sleeping. Most of the time, to determine you are dealing with an infestation, you almost need to know how to force the bugs out of hiding.
Don’t Know If I’ve Got Bed Bugs Help! I Can’t Find Them!
It is always best to face an infestation head-on when the numbers are small and more confined. The only problem with this theory is most people don’t know they have bed bugs until they are dealing with a full-blown infestation. This is the perfect example, of why a detection strategy is so important. Determining if bed bugs are present is key to quicker, easier eradication.
- The first and most important thing to remember is bed bugs are most active when you are supposed to be sleeping. This is when you’ll want to start your inspection. While you can place traps and lures in high-risk areas, you must be strategic. Choosing the ideal time to set the devices in place will catch the bed bugs in action. When you are supposed to be asleep, bed bug activity is at its highest.
- Your next step will be to force the bugs to travel through the traps and lures. The best way to do this is by dictating their path of travel. Unfortunately, you will only be able to do this for the bed bugs that have not invaded the mattress. But this is still an excellent starting point. Move the bed and other pieces of furniture away from the walls. This will give the bugs only one path to and from their hosts, up the legs of the bed and furniture. This strategic little maneuver now gives you the benefit of knowing where and how the bed bug will travel.
- With the bed and bedroom furniture moved away from the wall, you can now start strategically placing traps. You’ll want to place them under the legs of the bedroom furniture and bed. This will essentially force the bugs to travel through the traps. If the strategy works, the bed bugs will be stick inside the adhesive material of the trap
- As far as adhesive traps go, you will have a number to choose from. The first you’ll probably come across will be the dish-like device. This device is basic at best but extremely effective. It is just simply designed like a dish, allowing the bugs to enter but leaving them unable to escape where they’ll starve to death.
- Other available devices include the carbon dioxide “CO2” detector and a heat trap. The combinational treatment utilizes CO2 and heat to physically lure bed bugs inside the traps. Some just use CO2, some just use heat, and some use a combination of both. Either way, the results should be the same, trapped bed bugs! CO2 bed bug traps also use glue paper like that of mice paper. This just adds a much-needed layer of security.
Other Tools Available To You
When it comes to bed bugs, you are best off attacking the problem from a variety of angles. Utilizing everything available to you. Keeping this in mind, there is simply no better tool than the pest management professional. A good pest management professional can help you choose the best devices for your property. They can even install them for you, making sure they are working with the utmost efficiency.
With the right detection device and traps installed in the right places, you can effectively lure bed bugs out of hiding. Traps and lures cannot only be used as effective detection devices but under the right circumstances, they can be utilized as preventive and elimination tools. Whether you have questions about these traps, need emergency assistance, or just want to speak with a pest management pro, you can always feel free to contact our offices
. We always have someone standing by, ready, willing, and able to assist.
Why Hire Our Chicago Extermination Team?
- Our extermination team has decades of combined experience in the Chicago pest control industry
- Our bed bug management services include free consultations and inspections
- Our prices are fair and competitive with Illinois’s top pest control companies
- We are licensed with the State of Illinois